I Believe in Jesus Christ…Ascended and Coming to Judge
Oct. 28-Nov. 3
When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then will He sit on the throne of his glory (NRSV).
This week we pray for…
- our students as they return from Fall Break. Ask that they will be refreshed and energized. November can be one of the most challenging times of the entire academic year, as daylight diminishes and the pace of academic life quickens in the second half of the fall semester.
- our student-athletes, who are entering the final weeks of this semester’s contests with weary bodies and the undiminished desire to perform well in the Northwest Conference.
- Tuesday Community Chapel, as Kathy Storm preaches on the subject of Jesus’ historical ascension and the assurance of his return. Please pray, too, for Hosanna (Tuesday), Awake (Wednesday), and Community Chapel/ Communion (Thursday). All are important opportunities for members of the Whitworth community to strengthen our spiritual focus.
- Tuesday’s Whitworth Speakers & Artists Series, as Cynthia Hetherington presents “Professional Futures and the Pitfalls of Social Media: Maintaining Your Image.” Social media present our society with both great opportunities and potential pitfalls. Pray that this discussion will help the community to be discerning in its use of technology to affirm and enhance life.
- the Majors Fair, on Wednesday, which promises to be a great opportunity for students to talk with departmental advisors about academic opportunities in a variety of majors. This time is especially important for freshmen who are in the process of discerning vocational calling and deciding on the trajectory of their academic careers.
- Daniel Taylor (Friday), as he speaks about the relationship between faith development and doubt. Taylor is co-founder of The Legacy Center, an organization devoted to helping individuals and organizations identify and preserve the values and stories that have shaped their lives.
- acclaimed jazz saxophonist and Grammy winner Chris Potter and the award-winning Whitworth Jazz Ensemble as they perform together on Saturday night at Spokane’s Martin Woldson Theater at the Fox.
- Initiative 7 of the Whitworth 2021: Courage at the Crossroads vision and strategic plan: To invest in Whitworth’s employees and support a culture of continuous improvement as we recruit and retain highly qualified faculty and staff who reflect the university’s commitments to its mission, to excellence, and to diversity.
Lord, we thank you that your Son, Jesus, was born among us poor, humble and dependent. Open our eyes, our hearts and our hands to honor him now as our ascended Lord and King. Let us welcome him in those who are hungry and thirsty, in all who are abandoned and lonely, and in the lives of the poor and the sick. Let our love become free and spontaneous, like the tenderness you have shown us in your Son. Welcome us into the everlasting Kingdom prepared for us through Christ Jesus, our Lord.